People had an enjoyable afternoon skiing & boarding today but the snow is now very thin – down to the grass – and increasingly dangerous. We will not run the tows until we get more snow which may be on Thursday or Friday.
There’s a covering of snow at Allenheads and we think it should be enough to ski for at least a few hours. We plan to run the tows from about 1.00pm today. If you plan to come to Allenheads, you must read the rest of this post:
- Do not come if you have any Covid symptoms
- Be careful on the field and ensure social distancing at all times
- Record your visit on the sheet by the main cabin so that we can contact you for track and trace purposes
- It will not be possible to borrow skis or boots so you must have your own equipment
- The Hemmel Cafe and the Allenheads Inn are both closed so there will be no toilets available in Allenheads. The nearest toilets are in Allendale Town or Nenthead.
- None of the cabins will be open for members other than the volunteers running the tows
- Park carefully and be respectful to the residents of Allenheads. With Covid numbers being high in south west Northumberland, there will inevitably be some concern for them if there are a lot of visitors.
If you do get to Allenheads, enjoy your day.
I’m afraid there’s still not enough snow to make it worthwhile opening. Forecast is for weather to stay cold and a bit more snow tonight so tomorrow is possible, if unlikely. Will update in the morning.
It looks like there is not enough snow to compensate for very wet ground plus rain/sleet forecast for overnight and temperatures rising tomorrow. I’m afraid we’ll have to wait until conditions improve before we can open.
Our reduced rate subscriptions for this season are still available but we will have to return to our normal rates in a weeks time. Join now and take advantage of the significant reductions which are still available. See the Membership page for the details.
We will be putting up the ski tows on Sunday 8th November 2020, starting at 10.30am. We ned all of the help we can get to finish the work in the morning, so please come along to help. No special skills needed, just suitable clothing and footwear plus a pair of gloves and, in case you have to work close to other people, a face mask.
Please note: Membership for the coming season – 2020/21 – is now open. Ski-Allenheads will open during the coming season – snow permitting of course! For more information on what to expect this season, see our Covid page.